It’s that time of year.
NaNoWriMo is just around the corner. We writers and authors are gearing up for an intense month of writing, and yet somehow still getting our holiday shopping done, keeping our homes habitable, keeping our coffee stash full, and still maintaining our sanity.
Well, The Flash Fiction and Short Story Society is here to tell you that we have something else to add to your plates.
We’re hosting a short story contest, in which a selection of the top entries will be collected for an anthology release later this year (or early next year–we’ll be sure to keep you posted as things fall into place). Winners will receive royalties from the sale of the anthology. In other words, we all win!
So how do you get started with this exciting project? Let’s lay down the ground rules:
- The topic is “Reunions.” Any genre is fine, but do not submit explicit porn or gore. Feel free to interpret the term however you like–reunions between lovers, class reunions, the reunion of a writer with her favorite wine glass after the cat knocked it behind the garbage can.
- Must be no longer than 2000 words in length; we request works between 1500-2000. (This is a short story, after all, not flash fiction; 500 words is too short.)
- This work must be original. Please do not submit anything you’ve published before.
- The fee for entry is $2. This is to cover time spent creating the anthology, getting a good cover made, etc. It’s a labor of love, but it’s also a financial investment.
- When you’ve paid your entry fee, email us your story at shortstory.flashfictionsociety@gmail(dot)com. Formats accepted include .doc, .docx, .rtf. We’ll confirm receipt.
- You can enter more than once, but you’ll need to pay the $2 fee each time. If we receive 2 emails from you and only one payment (unless you pay for both at the same time, of course), we will just use the first story you sent.
- Do NOT post your story in the comments. Although this was accepted in past contests, we will only accept entries via email this time.
- After you’ve paid your entry fee, you cannot request to change your story. There will be no refunds if you suddenly want to withdraw. So make sure you’re 100% confident before you submit!
- You have until 11:59 pm Chicago Central Time US, November 7th, to complete your story.
Good luck! We’ve had such fantastic entries in the past, and we’re confident that we’ll see more to come!
Submit payments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
One thought on “Short Story Anthology Contest”