Well, folks, it’s that time again! What time, you ask? Time for a short story contest! Woo-hoo!
For this short story contest, we have a few prompts we’d like you to work with.
First of all, there’s this photo:
Image Source: ThinkStock
Second: You need to include three words.
- Weapon of choice
You can expand on these words as concepts, of course. Let’s do a little example:
“The killer contemplated her weapon of choice. If she used a knife on her victim, it would be risky, since he was stronger than she was. However, while a gun was easier, it might be too loud, and it would definitely stain her new, very pricey sheepskin rug. Plus, her ex-husband was a gun enthusiast, so it just wasn’t dramatic enough. She thought a moment. What did he fear the most? Falling? No, too difficult to pull off. Flying? How would that work? Ooh, spiders! That’d be a deliciously creative way of doing the job, and there were some pretty deadly Black Widows in the woods outside.”
Notice all three words were used, but the concept became unique.
Need some ideas?
Why not buy our Murder Anthology for only $1.99? Plenty of good stories there to draw some inspiration from.
- Entries are due at 11:59 PM Central Time on August 23, 2015. (Chicago Time)
- Prize is a $10 Amazon Gift Card.
- Word count: 800-1500 words. (Please do not email asking for exceptions.)
- This work must be original. Please do not submit anything you’ve published before.
- Post the story on your blog and leave a comment here with the link. If you do not have a blog, you may email us your story at shortstory.flashfictionsociety@gmail(dot)com. Formats accepted include .doc, .docx, .rtf. DO NOT SEND A PDF. We’ll confirm receipt.
- Do NOT post your full story in the comments (just a link to it, if it’s on your blog). If you do this, your comment will be deleted.
- After you’ve entered, you cannot request to change your story.
Good luck! We’ve had wonderful entries in the past, and we’re confident that you can come up with a great story!
Reminder, you can always purchase Murder: Horror Flash Fiction Stories if you need some ideas! It will give you a taste of what we like in murder stories, and it’s a quick and fun read, to boot.