Image Source: https://vhbelvadi.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/serene-2.jpg
Hello everyone! This week, we thought we were about due for a flash fiction contest.
The picture above is your prompt. However, don’t let the looks fool you: although this is a serene photo, you will be required to write a horror story.
Now doesn’t that sound like fun?
Alright, here are the rules:
- Keep your word count between 200-700.
- The story can be violent (it is horror, after all), but please no pornographic work.
- Please post on your blog and link back to it in the comments.
- If you do not have a blog, you may send it to us as a .doc, .docx, or .rtf file at: shortstory.flashfictionsociety(at)gmail(dot)com. Do NOT send a PDF.
- Do not send previously-written/published works. (Yes, that includes self-published. The point of this is to elicit a fresh story from this particular prompt.)
- Leave your Twitter handle at the end of the post so we can notify you via Twitter (and promote you) if you win.
The deadline is 11:59 PM Central Time (Chicago, USA) 5/15/2015!
Prize is a $10 gift card to Amazon.
Looking forward to reading your entries!
13 thoughts on “Flash Fiction Contest #8”
Hi! This is an awesome idea for a contest and I’m way more excited about it than I probably should be!
Here is my entry:
Also, for some reason I thought that crack through the meadow was a stream, and kind of went with it.
Twitter Handle: @LoseYourHeart
You’ve made a fun challenge! Such a peaceful picture, but to make it horror…
Here is my entry:
As for my twitter handle: @martinpchandler
Thank you for the contest, and good luck to all!
Nice prompt photo. Got the old creative juices flowing…
Hope you enjoy.
This was a fun prompt to work with! I was especially interested in that small trail of missing (possibly dead) grass, and then the story just spiraled from there. Here’s my entry:
Nothing scarier than horror stories involving children. Please enjoy The Familiar. https://mholloway63.wordpress.com/2015/05/14/the-familiar-ssffs_project-flashfiction/
Had a lot of fun with this one. Started researching the location for the image, and “Looking” grew out of it. Enjoy!
Thank you for the prompt. Here is my submission.
So excited that I saw this in time! Pulled me out of my writing funk. I had fun. Now I’m excited to go read everyone else’s entries too!
My Entry: https://noplacelikenapaskiak.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/flash-fiction-contest-consumed/